Skip to main content

"It's always best to start at the beginning...and all you have to do is follow the yellow brick road."


This installment of Throwback Thursday means so much to me. It is the 75th Anniversary for the film The Wizard of Oz. Everything Ozian has been an obsession of mine since I was probably about 2 years old. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it was my 4th birthday that I received the 50th Anniversary copy on VHS. I'm surprised that that copy lasted until I had my own DVD player. After that, I purchased every available version. I have endless memorabilia, including three different Dorothy dresses and two pairs of ruby slippers. I was beyond blessed to be able to play the role of Dorothy twice and I celebrate the anniversary in my own way every year. This year, since it's a big number, the world is celebrating with me, and I couldn't be happier!  

The first big part of the celebration is that Wizard of Oz was back in theatres. I was able to watch it last week and the experience was surreal to say the very least. I never thought I'd have the opportunity to see this movie in the theatre. Not only was it on the big screen, it was in IMAX 3D! From the moment the overture started, I was a weepy mess. I have to say, there's nothing quite like Judy singing Over the Rainbow and being absolutely larger than life. I have no words. If you didn't have the opportunity to see it, you totally missed out.  

If you DID miss out, you can still purchase the 3D version of the film for home viewing. I'm sure it won't be quite the same, and I don't know a LOT of people with 3D TVs, but if I had one I'd most certainly be buying it. Since it wasn't filmed in 3D, it's not going to be like a lot of the other movies from today, but it does give the film a lot of added depth, which really is breathtaking. You can purchase the movie by itself, but there's an epic 5 disc collector's edition (that you NEED if you're anything like me) that has all kinds of goodies. And yes, even though I can't watch the 3D version and I have multiple copies of the movie...I'll still probably buy it.
More awesome things about the anniversary? Well, McDonald's is featuring Oz toys in their Happy Meals right now. They are too stinking cute for words.  

QVC is featuring Julep nail polish in Ruby Slippers, Tin Man, Glinda the Good Witch, and Emerald City, and Philosophy body wash/shower gel in Emerald City and Yellow Brick Road. I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need either of these... There's also some Wizard of Oz scratch off lottery tickets right now. Maybe I'll grab one of those and win enough to pay for my Oz addiction.
I didn't get into the synopsis of the movie because...well...if you don't know about THIS story, you have a problem. It's a timeless classic, people. It's the ultimate "dreams really do come true" story. It's amazing when L. Frank Baum first wrote the book, it was banned for having a female in a strong leadership position. Simply put, the story is about a young girl needing to escape her dull, Kansas life. When she is caught in a tornado, she is suddenly transported to another world that's full of life and color. There, she meets several friends who help her on her journey to the Emerald City, each needing something different from the wizard they are supposed to meet there. When Dorothy is finally transported home, she discovers that she had everything she was looking for all along. Honestly, the lessons in this story are so positive and uplifting. It will forever be a family favorite. I hope that you are all able to to celebrate the 75th Anniversary by viewing this classic once again. Whether you're 9 or 99, it speaks to all of us.


Judy: Left- Songbird: Right
~Songbird

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World's End Review

Graphics Girl and I went to the movies a few days ago. I was feeling awful physically, so she decided that we needed a comedy and I didn't protest since it was written by Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg. The gang's back together in The World's End. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Paddy Considine, and Eddie Marsan are five guys who, with the encouragement of their once fearless leader, Gary King, (Pegg) have decided to go back to their hometown and do the pub crawl that they had tried back in 1990. Gary hasn't grown up at all over the years, but when things get hairy and the boys have a run in with some robots, they decide to follow his lead anyway and attempt to finish the crawl which culminates at The World's End. This movie is brilliantly done. The story plays like a comedy, but has elements of action, sci-fi, and thriller films. Once you start to realize how much your stomach hurts from laughter, they throw in a touching moment or a well choreographed fi...

Heroes in a Half Shell

A couple weeks ago, before stuff started showing up on the internet about the new Michael Bay movie, I decided to watch the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie with my boys. So, here's the jist of the story. Four tiny turtles begin a huge transformation after coming in contact with a mysterious green ooze. A rat who was once the pet of a great ninja master "adopts" them and teaches them the way of the ninja. While the turtles are studying in the sewers, there is a crime wave blanketing the city above. Robberies are on the rise and TV reporter April O'Neil finds herself a one of the latest victims. Unexpectedly, the streetlamp goes out....and when it goes back on, she's sitting next to a tied up pile of her attackers! Leave it to a reporter to get to the bottom of the story! April finds that behind this crime ring is the Foot Clan, led by the evil Shredder and he's not happy that she's onto him and he sends his henchmen to take care of ...

I'm Gonna Hack You In Two With A Hatchet

No, this week's TBT is not a horror flick. This just happens to be one of the most hilarious lines from a little known made for tv movie called Camp Cucamonga. For some reason, it's always been a family favorite. We were all able to get together this past weekend to celebrate my mother's birthday and there were several references, including part of the rap from the movie. Yup...that's just the kind of family we are.   The movie was released for television in September of 1990 basically just to display a plethora of popular television actors of the time, but ended up being a quality product despite some of the cheese. The title was briefly changed to How I Spent My Summer, but now can be found again under the original title. The all-star cast included Candace Cameron (Full House) and Jaleel White (Family Matters), which covered our TGIF days. Then we have Josh Saviano and Danica McKellar from The Wonder Years. We also get to see heartthrob Chad Allen from My Two Da...