Skip to main content

Throwback Thursday!


Today's Throwback is Weird Science.
The 80s had some classic movies and alot of what you'll remember is from John Hughes. Pretty In Pink, and Some Kind of Wonderful? Those romantic comedies? Weird Science isn't that.
"They went from zeros to heros in one fantastic weekend"
The movie stars Anthony Michael Hall and Ilan Mitchell-Smith as "nerdy" friends, Gary and Wyatt. Tired of dealing with the typical teenage social issues for years, they decide to create the perfect woman who they hope can change their social standing (Can't Buy Me Love anyone?) When she appears in the flesh, the real fun begins. Lisa (Kelly LeBrock) becomes their genie in a bottle and can get them anything they need. Cool clothes, fake IDs, a Porsche. When they show up with her at the mall, the cool guys from school (ENTER, RDJ!) can't believe what they're seeing. Lisa makes them look the cool guys and against their better judgement, plans a party which fills the house. Some WEIRD stuff goes down (that you'll have to watch) but in the end, she succeeds in changing their lives and teaching them a few lessons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World's End Review

Graphics Girl and I went to the movies a few days ago. I was feeling awful physically, so she decided that we needed a comedy and I didn't protest since it was written by Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg. The gang's back together in The World's End. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Paddy Considine, and Eddie Marsan are five guys who, with the encouragement of their once fearless leader, Gary King, (Pegg) have decided to go back to their hometown and do the pub crawl that they had tried back in 1990. Gary hasn't grown up at all over the years, but when things get hairy and the boys have a run in with some robots, they decide to follow his lead anyway and attempt to finish the crawl which culminates at The World's End. This movie is brilliantly done. The story plays like a comedy, but has elements of action, sci-fi, and thriller films. Once you start to realize how much your stomach hurts from laughter, they throw in a touching moment or a well choreographed fi...

I'm Gonna Hack You In Two With A Hatchet

No, this week's TBT is not a horror flick. This just happens to be one of the most hilarious lines from a little known made for tv movie called Camp Cucamonga. For some reason, it's always been a family favorite. We were all able to get together this past weekend to celebrate my mother's birthday and there were several references, including part of the rap from the movie. Yup...that's just the kind of family we are.   The movie was released for television in September of 1990 basically just to display a plethora of popular television actors of the time, but ended up being a quality product despite some of the cheese. The title was briefly changed to How I Spent My Summer, but now can be found again under the original title. The all-star cast included Candace Cameron (Full House) and Jaleel White (Family Matters), which covered our TGIF days. Then we have Josh Saviano and Danica McKellar from The Wonder Years. We also get to see heartthrob Chad Allen from My Two Da...

Wouldn't You Think I'm The Girl, The Girl Who Has Everything

I was fortunate enough to grow up during the "Disney Renaissance". During this period we saw films like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King. BUT my very favorite of all the movies that came out during this time was The Little Mermaid. I received the movie for my sixth birthday and that was one of my favorite presents. Some of my fondest memories include reenacting scenes from the movie with my friends. I still know every word to every song, and on occasion, like to see if I can get my hair to look like this  in the bathtub. ---> Don't judge me. She had fabulous hair. Seriously...what what woman has not wanted that sexy, red hair? LOVE. Today, you can find The Little Mermaid Diamond Edition at your local store. I'm not sure why they chose to release it now instead of next year, which would have marked the 25th anniversary, but you won't catch me complaining. I'm more than happy to have this available on Blu-Ray. I hear that the digital enhanc...