Skip to main content

Chicago Comic Con Recap

Wow! I'm not even sure where to begin on Wizard World Chicago. It's hard to believe that this time one week ago, we were on the road, making the long drive to Chicago. Graphics Girl and I had so much fun! This was her first convention, and my second. I'm hoping that it's just the beginning of what will become a big thing for us. We spent the weekend helping out the guys from Comic Book Displays and I got to have my photo taken with a bunch of really sweet people.

Blatant Geekery Girls
Working the convention is VERY different than just attending. I know, that should be obvious, right? I was a bit bummed that we didn't get to go to all the panels and have major time to walk around and check out all the vendors and celebs, but we still had a blast with the guys in the booth.

We were right across from all the guys from the Chicago Medieval Times. They were seriously cool people. We had photo ops with John Barrowman and Eddie McClintock; both incredibly sweet men who love their fans. I had photos taken with one guy dressed as Wolverine, a guy dressed as Spider-Man who lifted me in the air and told me not to fart on him, (awkward) a little boy dressed as Finn from Adventure Time, Hit Girl, Dexter, a pirate, and a bunch of other really nice people. There was quality hang out time with some really awesome artists and illustrators. Our new loves are the guys from Aw Yeah Comics, and Josh Blaylock and Matt Merhoff of Devil's Due Publishing (Mercy Sparx). There will be an exciting announcement having to do with Josh and Mercy Sparx pretty soon. I'm super pumped about it!
A Spidey print from Aw Yeah Comics
We had a great time at the after party with the boys from Lantern Light Lounge. We may do a bit of work together when we finally get our podcast up and running. They're great fun. Graphics Girl and I got some photos on the red carpet and did a bit of dancing. We saw Norman Reedus there, surrounded by a bunch of women, of course. Michael Rosenbaum and I talked about meeting up there, but apparently I just missed him. Admittedly, I was a bit bummed about that.

Sunday was rough. After two really long days at the booth being on our feet all day, and then an evening out, I don't think anyone was quite ready for what Sunday would bring. It was the only day without some Starbucks in the morning, so I was dragging a bit more than usual. Graphics Girl worked at the Super Hero Stuff booth that day and I was able to sneak away to visit. They had everything a geek girl could want...and I wanted all of it. She told me to head over to Eddie McClintock's booth since there weren't many people. I took her advice and visited. He saw me, thanked me for the 8x10 that GG had dropped off the night before, and gave me a big hug. We chatted a bit and I told him to let us know when he was back in Ohio. I decided to make a pit stop at Michael Rosenbaum's booth on the way back. When he saw me, he said, "I was there last night!" Sadly, we had missed each other by about 10 minutes, but we had a nice chat at that time instead. We took some more photos, and then I headed over to see James Marsters. There may or may not have been some smooching action there.  That's all I'm going to say about that. ;) On the way out Greg Horn gave us some awesome, autographed prints.

We left about a half an hour before everything closed up, and with the drive home we made it back around 2am. Ever since we've been back, GG and I have been doing research and working on new costumes and revamping some old ones. I think it's about time we quit our jobs and started doing this full time.  Geek girls can dream, right? :)

~Songbird




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World's End Review

Graphics Girl and I went to the movies a few days ago. I was feeling awful physically, so she decided that we needed a comedy and I didn't protest since it was written by Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg. The gang's back together in The World's End. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Paddy Considine, and Eddie Marsan are five guys who, with the encouragement of their once fearless leader, Gary King, (Pegg) have decided to go back to their hometown and do the pub crawl that they had tried back in 1990. Gary hasn't grown up at all over the years, but when things get hairy and the boys have a run in with some robots, they decide to follow his lead anyway and attempt to finish the crawl which culminates at The World's End. This movie is brilliantly done. The story plays like a comedy, but has elements of action, sci-fi, and thriller films. Once you start to realize how much your stomach hurts from laughter, they throw in a touching moment or a well choreographed fi...

I'm Gonna Hack You In Two With A Hatchet

No, this week's TBT is not a horror flick. This just happens to be one of the most hilarious lines from a little known made for tv movie called Camp Cucamonga. For some reason, it's always been a family favorite. We were all able to get together this past weekend to celebrate my mother's birthday and there were several references, including part of the rap from the movie. Yup...that's just the kind of family we are.   The movie was released for television in September of 1990 basically just to display a plethora of popular television actors of the time, but ended up being a quality product despite some of the cheese. The title was briefly changed to How I Spent My Summer, but now can be found again under the original title. The all-star cast included Candace Cameron (Full House) and Jaleel White (Family Matters), which covered our TGIF days. Then we have Josh Saviano and Danica McKellar from The Wonder Years. We also get to see heartthrob Chad Allen from My Two Da...

Wouldn't You Think I'm The Girl, The Girl Who Has Everything

I was fortunate enough to grow up during the "Disney Renaissance". During this period we saw films like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King. BUT my very favorite of all the movies that came out during this time was The Little Mermaid. I received the movie for my sixth birthday and that was one of my favorite presents. Some of my fondest memories include reenacting scenes from the movie with my friends. I still know every word to every song, and on occasion, like to see if I can get my hair to look like this  in the bathtub. ---> Don't judge me. She had fabulous hair. Seriously...what what woman has not wanted that sexy, red hair? LOVE. Today, you can find The Little Mermaid Diamond Edition at your local store. I'm not sure why they chose to release it now instead of next year, which would have marked the 25th anniversary, but you won't catch me complaining. I'm more than happy to have this available on Blu-Ray. I hear that the digital enhanc...