Skip to main content

The World's End Review


Graphics Girl and I went to the movies a few days ago. I was feeling awful physically, so she decided that we needed a comedy and I didn't protest since it was written by Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg.

The gang's back together in The World's End. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Paddy Considine, and Eddie Marsan are five guys who, with the encouragement of their once fearless leader, Gary King, (Pegg) have decided to go back to their hometown and do the pub crawl that they had tried back in 1990. Gary hasn't grown up at all over the years, but when things get hairy and the boys have a run in with some robots, they decide to follow his lead anyway and attempt to finish the crawl which culminates at The World's End.

This movie is brilliantly done. The story plays like a comedy, but has elements of action, sci-fi, and thriller films. Once you start to realize how much your stomach hurts from laughter, they throw in a touching moment or a well choreographed fight scene, so you're never able to get bored. While we've seen Simon Pegg and Nick Frost together in movies like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, I feel that this script allowed us to see a side of both that we haven't seen before. Pegg was able to make some
acting choices that I haven't seen, going from one extreme to the next in no time. Frost blew me away with his extreme physicality and incredibly intense fight scenes. I could not believe that the fight scenes in this film easily trumped most action films I've seen this summer and it didn't seem to have the amount of cuts that others have had, leaving it to look far more impressive because you could actually see what was happening.

Thankfully, previews don't give away too much of the story, and that is why I'm not going to write at length about this one. It is one of the best movies I've seen in quite a while and I enjoyed every minute of it. (So much so, that I've seen it twice already.) I give it an A+, so this film is a must see.

It only left us with one question: If we had a band, what would our name be?  Right now I'm thinking it would have to be 'Black Cat and the Handler'.  Got a sweet band name?  Comment below!


~Songbird


Additional Reviews:  Rotten Tomatoes gave The World's End 90% and Matt Zoller Seitz from rogerebert.com gave it 3.5 out of 4 stars.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Gonna Hack You In Two With A Hatchet

No, this week's TBT is not a horror flick. This just happens to be one of the most hilarious lines from a little known made for tv movie called Camp Cucamonga. For some reason, it's always been a family favorite. We were all able to get together this past weekend to celebrate my mother's birthday and there were several references, including part of the rap from the movie. Yup...that's just the kind of family we are.   The movie was released for television in September of 1990 basically just to display a plethora of popular television actors of the time, but ended up being a quality product despite some of the cheese. The title was briefly changed to How I Spent My Summer, but now can be found again under the original title. The all-star cast included Candace Cameron (Full House) and Jaleel White (Family Matters), which covered our TGIF days. Then we have Josh Saviano and Danica McKellar from The Wonder Years. We also get to see heartthrob Chad Allen from My Two Da...

Wouldn't You Think I'm The Girl, The Girl Who Has Everything

I was fortunate enough to grow up during the "Disney Renaissance". During this period we saw films like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King. BUT my very favorite of all the movies that came out during this time was The Little Mermaid. I received the movie for my sixth birthday and that was one of my favorite presents. Some of my fondest memories include reenacting scenes from the movie with my friends. I still know every word to every song, and on occasion, like to see if I can get my hair to look like this  in the bathtub. ---> Don't judge me. She had fabulous hair. Seriously...what what woman has not wanted that sexy, red hair? LOVE. Today, you can find The Little Mermaid Diamond Edition at your local store. I'm not sure why they chose to release it now instead of next year, which would have marked the 25th anniversary, but you won't catch me complaining. I'm more than happy to have this available on Blu-Ray. I hear that the digital enhanc...